There’s been some coverage of our protests – and we’d love you to help us cover more! Contact [email protected] if you have any questions or would like to get involved to support!
We met with MasterCard! It went pretty much as expected – they ignored our concerns and even implied we were lying about the existing impact already happening. We’ll have a publicly linkable press release soon – but coverage is already coming out!
Sex Workers Say Mastercard Ignored Their Concerns About New Regulations – Motherboard, 10/15
If you see any other press go up let us know with an email!
An archived press release from the day of the protest is available in PDF and Google Doc format. We also have an archived copy of our “Thank You / What’s Next” update to supporters sent on October 12th.
A printable PDF version of the AcceptanceMatters.org statement is available here.
Some brave stakeholders have uploaded video testimony to accompany the statement and in person protests. You can also contact them directly via the links on that page.
We very much appreciate all the press that has covered our efforts so far!
- LGBTQ sex workers ‘in limbo’ after OnlyFans policy change – NBC, 8/24
- Sex Worker Collectives to Protest Against Banking Discrimination Tomorrow – Xbiz, 8/31
- OnlyFans put many of its users through an emotional wringer. Sex workers are getting fed up – MarketPlace, 9/1
- OnlyFans ban: sex workers fight back against financial discrimination – Dazed Digital, 9/3
- LGBTQ+ Sex Workers Lead #AcceptanceMatters Campaign Against Banking Discrimination – Xbiz, 9/1
- OnlyFans dustup gives a peek into the huge role banks play in the porn industry – Fortune, 9/1
- Religion and Banks: How the New War on Porn Tries to Defund Sex Workers – Holly Randall & Gustavo Turner in conversation on YouTube
- OnlyFans reversed its policy, but sex workers are still wary – NPR, 9/2
- How Mastercard’s new porn policies and Decrim Down Under are connected – Sai Jaidden Lillith, 9/2
- Online Sex Workers React to OnlyFans’ Content Ban Decisions – NPR, KQED Forum. 9/3
- LGBTQ2S+ sex workers are calling out Mastercard’s adult content policies – Xtra, 9/8
- How Banks Are Controlling Your Wanks – Vice, 9/21
- Video coverage of protests via More Perfect Union
- Sex Workers vs. Big Banks, More Perfect Union on Instagram
We also have seen some allied orgs put up blog posts or statements in support!
Here is one from Fight For The Future: Hey MasterCard, if #AcceptanceMatters then stop putting sex workers and online human rights in danger
Note from the organizers to press and allied orgs:
While many have headlined OnlyFans because it’s a popular keyword, the organizers would prefer you report on MasterCard. OnlyFans and other larger sites can subsidize the costs of some of these policies because they have high earners and mainstream creators.
It’s our niche queer platforms that are most at risk and currently already struggling. We also call attention to MasterCard’s history destabilizing more marginalized workers through actions like defunding BackPage. OnlyFans has said MasterCard was not the primary influence on their issues around adult content banking, though they are obviously impacted.